Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
Greater Winnipeg

Vignettes /Greater Winnipeg / Adelaide-Forks

Free Press Building

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

Founded by William Fisher Luxton and John A. Kenny, the Winnipeg Free Press has long served as the voice of the West. A cramped, clapboard shack at 555 Main Street was the first home of the paper. Beginning as an eight-page weekly newspaper on November 9, 1972, by year's end the Free Press had a circulation of nearly 1,200. Less than two years after its first issue, the paper had become popular enough to reorganize into two publications: the four-page Daily Free Press and the Free Press Prairie Farmer.

Relocating to an area on McDermot Avenue populated with other newspapers. This block was known as "Newspaper Row" and was an attraction to citizens who would congregate outside the offices of the Manitoba Free Press, the Winnipeg Telegram or the Winnipeg Tribune to read the latest news posted on the walls or shouted through megaphones.


2nd Floor Virtual Tour




Winnipeg Map
Downtown Winnipeg Map


Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1913 1998 Protected elements: 1) 2-storey lobby; 2) exterior revolving doors; and 3) articulated plasterwork on main and 2nd floor. 6 storeys

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Newspaper publishing Offices 300 Carlton Street Woodman and Carey, 1911-13; A. E. Cubbidge, 1926.


Additional Info


Featured Images


about this site  :  credits  :  Français