House 88 Adelaide Street
The area surrounding 88 Adelaide Street was once a lively
neighbourhood of residential housing. Built by contractor
Michael Kelly for himself in 1882, the house now stands
alone amongst the warehouse buildings that supplanted the
houses of Winnipeg’s earliest residential area.
Kerr House 351 Assiniboine Avenue
The Kerr House, appraised at $1,500 at the time of construction, is a fine example of the Second Empire style that was popular in Eastern Canada during the latter 1860s to 1880. Much of the West was developed after this period, and relatively few of its residential, commercial or institutional buildings remain of this type. A mansard or double roof is the most prominent detail of Second Empire structures, providing more upstairs living space than other contemporary designs.
William E. Milner
House 51 Balmoral Avenue
William Edwin Milner was the western manager of the Maple Leaf Flour Mills Company.
He had relocated his family to Winnipeg and chose the new middle-class subdivision
on Balmoral Street for his family to settle.
Manitoba Club 194
The Manitoba Club was founded on July 16, 1874 and has resided in its current
facility since 1905.
222 Broadway Avenue
A marvel of modern technology, the Fort Garry opened its doors December 11,
391 Broadway Avenue
The Manitoba Law Courts building is situated across from the Manitoba
Legislative building. The Law Courts actually consists of several buildings.
Land Titles Building
393 Broadway Avenue
The first Land Titles office was built in 1881 on the
corner of Broadway and Kennedy. Up to that point in time
a race course had been located in the area, in 1903 the building
that stands today was completed.
450 Broadway Avenue
In 1911, architects Frank W. Simon and Henry Boddington of Liverpool, England
won a worldwide competition to design a $2 million edifice until the official
opening of the When it was completed in 1920, the cost was closer to $6 million
after political scandal, the First World War and economic reverses plagued its
Wilson House (Klinic
Community Health Centre)
545 Broadway Avenue
John H.G. Russell, one of the city’s best-known and most prolific architects,
designed 545 Broadway. It is one of a series of buildings that appeared in a
prominent residential district along Broadway, west of the Legislative Building.
(Dalnavert) 61 Carlton Street
The Hudson’s Bay Company sub-divided their reserve
into large-lot subdivision, using building restrictions
and other means to encourage an exclusive neighbourhood
stretching west along Broadway from Main Street.
Free Press Building 300
The six-storey Free Press Building uses a skeleton frame of reinforced concrete
to support the brick exterior walls and has a flat roof. Ornamental stone and
terra cotta are found on the exterior elevations of the building.
281 Donald Street
With a capacity of 2,300, the Allen Theatre opened in
1919 on Donald Street.
99 Euclid Avenue
At one time, 99 Euclid Avenue was simply another modest North Point Douglas home.
In recent years, however, the two-storey log structure has stood vacant behind
a protective chain-link fence, the subject of historical and public controversy.
Building 25 Forks Market Road
Increased freight traffic on Canadian National Railway lines led to construction
of a massive, four-storey warehouse and freight-forwarding facility in the southern
half of the CNR’s East Yards.