/Greater Winnipeg / Adelaide-Forks
Johnston Terminal Building
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Increased freight traffic on Canadian National Railway
lines led to construction of a massive, four-storey warehouse
and freight-forwarding facility in the southern half of
the CNR’s East Yards.
Located at the junction of the Assiniboine and Red rivers
in downtown Winnipeg, the yards were shared by Canadian Northern
and Grand Trunk Pacific railways during the early 1900s.
In 1917-23, along with three other financially troubled systems,
they amalgamated into the publicly owned CNR.