/Greater Winnipeg / Adelaide-Forks
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
With a capacity of 2,300, the Allen Theatre opened in
1919 on Donald Street. Part of a national chain owned by
the Allen family of Brantford, Ontario, the Allen’s
established a film exchange company and a series of luxury
theatres across Canada.
In direct competition with the Nathanson circuit, which
later became Famous Players Canadian Corporation, the two
chains opened costly theatres across the country. By the
time the Winnipeg theatre opened, the Allen’s had
the largest chain with 45 movie houses. Following the Allen’s
into Winnipeg, Nathanson/Famous Players opened the
Capitol Theatre within a year.