Vignettes /Greater Winnipeg / Garry-Osborne
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Since 1883, the stately three-storey mansion located at 10 Kennedy Street in the heart of downtown Winnipeg, has been known as Government House and has been the residence of Manitoba's lieutenant-governors. It has long been a center of social and political activity.
In 1870, Manitoba entered Confederation and in 1872, the former Hudson's Bay Company house at Upper Fort Garry was officially leased to the Dominion for use as the original home of the province's first lieutenant-governor, Adams G. Archibald. In time, the decline of the upper fort and the HBC's plans to dismantle the complex in the early 1880s prompted the federal government to build a new government house.