Upper Fort Garry Gate
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Upper Fort Garry was the last of five forts, known to
have been built in the general vicinity of Broadway Avenue
and Main Street. The other forts included Fort Rouge (circa
1736), Fort Gibraltar (circa 1806), Fort Douglas (circa
1815) and the original Fort Garry (circa 1821).
After the flood of 1826 when the original Fort Garry was
demolished, Governor George Simpson rebuilt the fort downstream
in 1831 at its present location near Selkirk, Manitoba. An
unpopular move because of the days journey required to reach
the “forks” where trade was already established.
The Hudson's Bay Company decided to return to the forks and
built a second fort in 1835, named Upper Fort Garry. An impressive
structure, with four large bastions and formidable 15-foot
high stone walls, its presence was meant to demonstrate the
Company's dominance in the area.