/ Greater Winnipeg
Manitoba Agricultural College
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Manitoba’s rapid growth at the turn of the century
prompted the government to support agricultural research
and education. In 1894, the Department of Agriculture had
started a dairy school, followed by the establishment of
the Manitoba Agricultural College in 1903-04.
Two river lots south of the Assiniboine River and west
of Winnipeg were selected. The college officially opened
in 1906, offering courses in crop and livestock production,
farm management and home economics, only the third school
of its kind in Canada.