Granite Curling Club
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The popularity of curling as one of Winnipeg’s earliest
team sports gave birth to the city’s first curling
club. The province’s Scottish population were the
city’s early curling enthusiasts, playing informal
matches in improvised facilities with makeshift equipment.
The club was organized in 1880, with its first season
of play in 1881. An indoor rink was built in 1892 at Hargrave
Street and Ellice Avenue. By 1911, larger facilities were
needed and the Mostyn Place site, with handy access to
the Assiniboine River's water for ice-making, was selected.