Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Paris Building was once described as Winnipeg’s “most
elegantly clothed steel frame skyscraper”. The building
was erected in two stages with the first five storeys in
1915, and the upper six in 1917. Designed by architects
Northwood and Carey of Winnipeg and constructed by Carter-Halls-Aldinger,
it was built at a price of $330,000.
The Paris Building features magnificent terra cotta ornamentation
and striking architectural design. The rental office and
retail space was graced with grey marble wainscoting and
stairs, with elegant woodwork and glass partitions between
the airy, well-lit rooms. The Paris Building was one of
a group of office towers that gradually shifted business
interests away from Main Street.