Enlarge text: smaller | larger
W.J. Boyd, was a pioneer businessman originally from Ontario
and lived in Winnipeg for nearly 60 years. Boyd started
out with a confectionery business and gradually took over
smaller firms to become one of the city’s biggest
suppliers of baked goods. In 1912, he was bought out by
a national company. The sale of his business gave Boyd
the capital to finance the building of his office tower.
He soon re-established himself in the manufacture of confectionery.
Designed by John D. Atchison, the Boyd Building was
located at the western periphery of the downtown district
until the Hudson’s Bay store extended the district
further in 1925.