Inglis (NWCTA) Building
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
A two-storey house originally stood at 291 Portage Avenue.
However, when Portage Avenue developed into Winnipeg’s
commercial centre in the early 1900’s, the property
became a valuable location for a business premise.
Owner, A.F. Thomas, built a one-storey café at
291 Garry in 1908. By the end of the year he had added
16 feet (4.9 metres) to the rear of the structure, plus
an upper storey. J. D. Atchison designed this first phase
and the contractor was J. McLeod. When completed, the cost
of the solid brick structure was $10,000.