Assiniboine Park Pavilion
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
When Assiniboine Park opened in 1909, it was
the culmination of sixteen years of effort by the Winnipeg
Public Parks Board. Based on the formal parks developed
in England and Europe in the 19th century, winding paths
and roads were laid out, fields leveled, and thousands
of trees, shrubs, and flowers planted.
of the centerpieces of Assiniboine Park throughout its
history was the tower of the pavilion, built in 1908 and
designed by Winnipeg architect John D. Atchison. The tower
housed a 16,000 gallon water tank that was visible
throughout the park. Built at a cost of $19,000, the
pavilion housed dining and dance halls featured loggias
overlooking the park. Immediately behind the pavilion,
a lily pond was located beneath a vine-covered pergola.