Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Albert

Hammond Building

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

William J. Hammond, was a hat merchant who had come from Toronto in 1896, moving his millinery store from Main Street into his new building on Albert Street in 1902.  The east side of Albert Street was underdeveloped because of a skating rink kept there by Alexander McIntyre, until he built the McIntyre Block in 1898.

Designed by architect J.H.G. Russell, the early Hammond Building was only two storeys of brick with wood beam and post construction built at a cost of $14,000.  In 1905, a further two storeys were added and leased out as sample rooms to manufacturer’s agents.  In 1907, more space was added to the north side at a cost of $35,000, with the final addition made in 1909. The piecemeal additions clearly show that not all involved in the designs were sympathetic to the original design.  A fire gutted most of the interior in 1909 and of the 52 original suites, only 25 were renovated.


Office View




Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1902 Municipal, 1980, grade III Edwardian piecemeal additions preclude unified style. Wood beam and post construction. 6 storeys/47,499 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Offices and sample rooms for manufacturer’s agents. Retail and garment trade also present. Offices 63 Albert Street J.H.G. Russell





about this site  :  credits  :  Français