This warehouse was built in 1893, for clothing manufacterer
and importer, John W. Peck. Designed by C.H. Wheeler, it
is located on the corner of Notre Dame Avenue and Princess
Street on the western boundary of the warehouse district.
Ryan Building 44
Thomas Ryan (1849-1937), a native of Perth, Ontario, came
to Winnipeg in 1874 and began a retail business. He established
an import-wholesale business that extended from the Lakehead
to the West Coast.
Ryan Building Annex
46-50 Princess Street
Designed by Thomas Ryan himself and built in 1906.
Del Block 54-62
Designed by George Ryan one of Thomas Ryan's three brothers who joined him in
City Hydro Showroom 55
As City Light and Power grew, additional functions were being offered by the
company. A two-storey addition was built on the Princess side of the main structure
during 1919-20. This portion of the building became the Hydro Showrooms where
electrical appliances could be displayed and purchased by customers.
Bole Drug 70 Princess
In 1903, work began on a five storey, 65’ x 69’ brick warehouse.
The various departments, each supervised by qualified chemists, were efficiently
organized for production and distribution, while a system
of "speaking tubes" facilitated communication between departments
and the firm’s business office.
72-74 Princess Street
In 1883-84, the Independent Order of Oddfellows constructed
this three-storey Romanesque-style structure with a metal
cornice showing the initials IOOF and ML No.1 (Manitoba
Lodge No. 1) together with the cryptic symbols of the mystic
order – a crescent moon with seven stars and a three-link
Building 78-84 Princess Street
The Earn Building is one of several pre-1900 buildings on Princess Street that
are the city’s oldest surviving warehouses.
Miller, Morse & Co.
Warehouse 86-88 Princess
The original three-storey section of this building was erected
in 1887 by a hardware wholesaler, Miller, Morse and Company.
Capacity was doubled when a building of identical design
was added to the north side in 1892.
Canada Rubber Building
(Hemisphere Building) 87-89 Princess
The Kilgour-Rimer Block was built in 1901 next to the 8
year old Canada Rubber Building at 89 Princess. They have
combined to become what is now called the Hemisphere Building.
Built in 1903 by architect J.H.G. Russell, this brick warehouse
was originally 4 storeys. A two storey addition was made in 1912
with the same architect. The first floor maximized loading functions
with 3 doors on Princess Street for carts and 3 doors at the rear
backed onto a CPR railway spur.
Galt Block 103
The style of the building is Richardsonian. There
are wide arches with narrower arches at the corner that curves
and is treated with a vertical shaft of limestone.
The Confederation Life Association built this five-storey brick warehouse in
1885 as a speculative venture.
Maw's Garage 109
Maw and Company Garage was constructed in 1906 for the interests of Joseph Maw. Maw
was a Winnipeg businessman whose career illustrates how the settlement of Western
Canada presented boundless opportunities to many an ambitious man.
110-120 Princess Street
One of the first warehouses to utilize steel construction, the Fairchild Building,
located in the western boundary of the district, serves as a magnificent example
of this new approach to warehouse design that occurred across North America after
the turn-of-the century.
Miller & Richards Type Founders Building
(Western Elevator and Motor Co.)
Together with the adjacent Maw & Co. Garage on Princess Street, the Miller
and Richard Type Founders building remains an important part of turn-of-the-century
commercial streetscape that still exists in the warehouse district southwest
of City Hall.
Hotel (Benson Block) 146 Princess Street
Originally called the Benson Block, this hotel was a twin
of the Bawlf Block at 148 Princess, Joseph Benson had operated
a livery stable on the site, and together with Nicholas
Bawlf, financed the construction of the two buildings.
Bawlf Block (House
This is the second home of the Winnipeg Grain and Produce
Exchange. The building was built by one of its founders,
Nicholas Bawlf, an Irish immigrant who settled in Ontario
before coming west in 1877. The Victorian Commercial structure
was the center of the grain industry upon its opening.
Harris Block (Hochmans
Building) 154 Princess
The oldest agricultural implement warehouse
in the District was constructed for A. Harris, Son & Co.
This Ontario-based agricultural implement manufacturer
opened a Winnipeg branch in 1872 to service the growing
grain industry. It built this Victorian Eclectic warehouse
with details of sheaves of wheat on the façade.
Bawlf Grain Exchange
Building II 160 Princess
The Winnipeg Grain and Produce Exchange was created on
November 24, 1887 in the office of the Board of Trade in
City Hall by twelve leading grain merchants. The rapid
growth of the grain trade necessitated the construction
of the second Grain Exchange on Princess Street.
Utility Building (Grain
Exchange) 164 Princess
In 1892, a time when the wheat boom in the Northwest was making fortunes for
many western businessmen, Winnipeg’s first Grain and Produce Exchange was
formed. One of the founders, Nicholas Bawlf, erected this building intending
to house the Board of Trade.
Carnefac Block 188
An example of Edwardian style construction, this two storey
warehouse was built in 1905.
McLaughlin Carriage 200
The Winnipeg branch was opened in 1901 or 1902. Land was acquired at the north-east
corner of Princess Street and Ross Avenue, the former location of the Grand Union
Hotel which had burnt down in 1894.