Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Princess

Harris Block (Hochmans Building)

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

The oldest agricultural implement warehouse in the District was constructed for A. Harris, Son & Co. This Ontario-based agricultural implement manufacturer opened a Winnipeg branch in 1872 to service the growing grain industry. It built this Victorian Eclectic warehouse with details of sheaves of wheat on the façade.

This is the third structure erected in sequence, with the Benson and Bawlf blocks immediately to the south.  All three were built in 1882, but this third building was not designed by Barber and Barber but by James Chisholm. The materials, scale and design of this structure reflect a visual relationship with the other two buildings. An arch in the cornice once contained a statue of Ceres, a Roman goddess, carrying a sheaf of wheat. Other alterations to this three-storey brick structure include the removal of the iron cresting from the cornice.



Room 312

Student Services




Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1882 Municipal, 1979, grade III

Flamboyant, highly detailed brick work and pressed metal ornamentation, statue of ceres, wood post and beam construction.

3 storeys/11,680 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Warehouse Red River College 154 Princess Street James Chisholm





about this site  :  credits  :  Français