Examining Warehouse 145 McDermot
The Inland Revenue Building is a massive structure located
on the northeast corner of Rorie and McDermot. It was initially
constructed to house the Inland Revenue Branch of the Dominion
Porter/Galpern Building 165 McDermot
McDermot has always been a commercial area, and today a
substantial turn-of-the century streetscape still exists
between 165-179 McDermot Avenue beginning at the intersection
of Rorie Street and McDermot Avenue.
(Pockets Bar) 169-171 McDermot Avenue
Located at 171 McDermot, the Dawson
Richardson Building was completed in late 1921 and was
the last structure to be built along this street.
Block 173 McDermot
Built at a cost of $7,000, the Mitchell Block was decorated
with an ornate exterior much of which is now missing, although
decorative window details have survived.
Toronto Type Foundry
Building 175 McDermot
Built by its designer, David Ede, as a speculative venture
during Winnipeg's 1881-82 land boom, this three-storey
brick warehouse is the oldest of the six buildings on the
north side of McDermot Avenue between Main and Rorie streets.
T.W. Taylor Building
177 McDermot Avenue
Built in 1882, this two-storey brick structure was a printing
plant and book bindery which remained in business until
the late 1960s.
Alloway Building 179 McDermot Avenue
The Alloway and Champion Building reflects the innovative
spirit of an 1879 partnership which became one of the
largest private banks in Western Canada.
Lake of the Woods
(Mayberry Gallery) 212 McDermot Avenue
The high-quality Five Roses
brand of flour produced from western canadian grain helped
the Lake of The Woods Milling Company become the second
largest milling company in Canada at the turn of the century.
The Criterion Hotel
214 McDermot Avenue
The Criterion Hotel, built in 1903, was one of many hotels established in the
area to accommodate the thousands of arriving travellers.
Built in 1904, for A. Lee Willson, 222 McDermot Avenue
contained the offices of A. Silvester, Hardware & Lumber
Merchant of Elkhorn, Manitoba and H. Willson of Willson
Stationery Co. of Winnipeg.
This brick building was erected in 1883 and was well constructed,
with oversized joists and a stone foundation. The
details and quality of the brickwork on the Lyon Block
made its design especially notable and successful.
Albert Block) 227-237 McDermot Avenue
The Albert Block was originally constructed as the Alexander
Apartment House in 1901 as a real estate investment for
J. S. Tupper, W. J. Tupper and Walter Sacklling. In 1903,
Frank Mariaggi, who had come west with the Red River Expedition
in 1871, converted the block into a luxurious European-style hotel.
Stovel Printing moved to a three-storey
location on McDermot and Arthur Street. In 1900, two storeys and an
extension to King Street were added.
In 1916 the building was gutted by fire but the walls remained and it was rebuilt.
(Sures Building) 246 McDermot Avenue
Situated between the elaborate Telegram Building, built
around the same time, and the Geo. D. Wood Building of
the 1890s, this warehouse is a rare example of a modest-sized
structure of the city’s first boom period that has
not been significantly altered.
The George D. Woods Building, now known as the Merchants
Building, was built in 1898 to house the wholesale hardware
business of George Duncan Woods.
Building) 281 McDermot Avenue
At one point there were nineteen rail lines connecting Winnipeg to the rest
of Canada as the city became the supply point for Western Canadian settlement.
One of the finest warehouses to rise up from this prosperous time was built by
F.W. Stobart, Sons & Co. in 1903.
Maltese Cross Building
286 McDermot Avenue
This fireproof warehouse was constructed for the Gutta
Percha and Rubber Co. Ltd. of Toronto. Manufacturers of
'Maltese Cross' and 'Lion' businesses in Winnipeg under
the name Winnipeg Rubber Company.
This six-storey brick building was constructed in 1905
for the J.C. Wilson Company, a Quebec-based paper products
manufacturer and wholesaler.
290 McDermot Avenue
The Glengarry Block, on the south side of McDermot Avenue
between Princess and King streets, was another one of John
Duncan McArthur’s speculative investments in Winnipeg.
296 McDermot Avenue
Originally four storeys high, the Daylite Building was
designed and constructed in 1899 by James H. Cadham on
the corner of McDermot and Princess in the western
half of the warehouse district.