/ The Exchange
W.F. Alloway Building
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Alloway and Champion Building reflects the innovative
spirit of an 1879 partnership which became one of the largest
private banks in Western Canada.
William Forbes Alloway and Henry Thompson Champion both
came to Manitoba with Wolseley’s 1870 Red River Expedition.
Different opportunities presented themselves with Champion
joining a local bank and Alloway going into retailing and
freight hauling. Alloway began a loan business, which eventually
involved Champion as a partner.