Bank of Commerce
(Millenium Centre) 389 Main Street
Expanding interests in the West, the Commerce purchased
the Bannatyne Block and in 1900 architects Darling & Pearson
designed a monumental structure for 389 Main Street.
395 Main Street
Bankers’ Row was well established on Main Street between Portage and William
avenues, by the time the Ontario-based Bank of Hamilton leased space on East
Main between Lombard and McDermot avenues in 1896.
Canadian Wheat Board
423 Main Street
This nine storey Gothic revival building was built in 1928.
Bank of British
(Newmac Building) 436 Main Street
On what was once a busy stretch of Winnipeg, today the
former Bank of British North America stands physically
isolated at 436 Main Street. It is the only surviving pre-1914
structure on West Main between Portage and McDermot avenues.
Imperial Bank of
Canada 441 Main Street
From 1881 through to 1961, the Imperial Bank of Canada
has stood on the same site on which this financial institution
established its first Winnipeg office.
Bank of Toronto
Canadian Committee) 456 Main Street
Situated on the west side of Main Street, between McDermot and Bannatyne Avenues,
in an area known as Banker’s Row, the Bank of Toronto building was the
first bank to have a marble façade.
Building 457 Main Street
Constructed in 1912 during a period of rapid urban expansion, the Confederation
Life Building is one of the city’s finest skyscrapers.
Royal Bank of Canada
460 Main Street
The Royal Bank was the last major financial institution to open Winnipeg premises.
Although the Royal's history in eastern Canada went back to 1869, the Montreal-based
bank did not venture west to Winnipeg until 1906.
Woodbine Hotel 466
Dufferin Hall was
a two-storey wood frame building 22 feet wide and about
twice as long. By 1881 it was sold and its name was changed
to the Woodbine to appeal to expatriates from eastern Canada
familiar with the Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto.
Baker Block (Birt
In 1901, local entrepreneur W.R. Baker demolished the
small hardware stores on the lot adjoining the Duffin Block,
to the south on Main Street, and erected the Baker Block.
Duffin Block (Birt
Saddlery) 474 Main Street
The Duffin Block, has its connections to pioneer photographer Simon Duffin who
came to the Red River area in 1872. He operated from a small Main Street shop
and business proved successful enough to warrant the building of his own studio
at Bannatyne and Main.
(Crocus Building) 476 Main Street
Precariously close to demolition, the century-old landmark, was brought back
to life by Prairie Architects Inc. in 2001, with a $6 million transformation
that restored the building’s exterior and incorporated as much of its old
interior layout as possible.
Shoe Store 492 Main
Shoe retailer-wholesaler Thomas Ryan had operated a wood-frame shop on the west
side of Main Street between present-day Bannatyne and William avenues since the
Union Bank Tower
(Royal Tower) 500-504 Main Street
The Union Bank is believed to be the country’s oldest surviving steel frame
and reinforced concrete “skyscraper”.