Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Main

Woodbine Hotel

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

Winnipeg’s first hotel, “The Royal Hotel,” was opened in 1859 by Henry McKenney and was situated between McDermot and Bannatyne Avenues, east of Main Street. By the mid 1870s, there were over thirty-two hotels when the population of Winnipeg was less than 8,000.

The Woodbine Hotel origins date back to these early frontier days when it was known as Dufferin Hall. Built by Peter Sutherland in 1878 at a cost of $1,000 Dufferin Hall was a two-storey wood frame building 22 feet wide and about twice as long. By 1881 it was sold and its name was changed to the Woodbine to appeal to expatriates from eastern Canada familiar with the Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto. Apparently, it was only a saloon, with no rooms to let, so when Edward H. Hebb bought the hotel in 1889, a dining room and billiard hall were established on the second floor.





Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1899 Municipal, 1986, grade III

By 1899 had dark brick veneer with limestone accents.

3 storeys/17,888 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Hotel and bar Hotel and bar 466 Main Street & 93 Albert Street P. Sutherland, 1878; Architect Unknown, 1899; J.H. Cadham, 1904; E.W. Crayston, 1923





about this site  :  credits  :  Français