Building (The Brokerage) 115 Bannatyne
Built for E. Nicholson in 1899, Nicholson
had gone into partnership with his young accountant, Donald
H. Bain in 1905. Bain eventually bought out his partner
in 1917, and in
1920 the business took over the five storey building to
the west at 119 Bannatyne.
Marshall-Wells Company, the third-largest hardware merchant in
the United States was one of many foreign wholesalers attracted
to Winnipeg’s tremendous market opportunities created by
large-scale prairie settlement prior to World War I.
Swiss Building (Bright
and Johnston Building)
137 Bannatyne Avenue
Mancel Willmot and George W. Stewart partnered to design
the Bright and Johnston Building, on the north side of Bannatyne
between Rorie Street and the Red River in the eastern half
of the warehouse district.
Bright and Johnson/Mackenzie
141 Bannatyne Avenue
Bright and Johnston, wholesale grocers, were one of many
companies to take advantage of Winnipeg’s growth
as a trade and distribution center.
J.H. Ashdown Warehouse
Built by Winnipeg’s “Merchant Prince” in 1895, the J.H. Ashdown
Warehouse, remains a major urban landmark in the Exchange District.
(Franklin Press Building)
This brick office building is a good example of the detail
that J.H.G. Russell used in both his grand works and his
Kelly Building (Kilgour
The building’s original tenants included the Kilgour Brothers, a printing
and paper manufacturer; wholesale clothier Samuel D.R. Fernie; wholesale stationer
W.V. Dawson; iron and brass bed manufacturer H.R. Ives and Co.; and the Souris
Coal Mining Company.
185 Bannatyne Avenue
Like many wholesalers in the district, Ontario-based McClary
Manufacturing Company relocated its Winnipeg branch closer
to the railway spur lines in the eastern half of the warehouse
J.W. MacDonald Auto
Service 189 Bannatyne
A service station hidden on Bannatyne Avenue.
283 Bannatyne Avenue
The Travellers Building was originally built at the corner
of Bannatyne Avenue and King Streets in 1906-07 for the
North West Commercial Travellers Association. It housed
their offices, meeting rooms, lounges and recreation facilities,
including a Turkish bath.
291 Bannatyne Avenue
The Sanford Manufacturing Company of Hamilton, Ontario constructed a three storey
building at this location in 1890.
Designed by C.H. Wheeler, the buildings top two storeys were destroyed by fire