District / Bannatyne
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The influx of immigrants into the western provinces created
a huge opportunity for wholesale suppliers in the last
decades of the 19th century and the years preceding the
First World War.
Winnipeg was a supplier to all the small towns that were
sprouting up across the west. The Sanford Manufacturing Company
of Hamilton, Ontario constructed a three storey building
at this location in 1890. It housed the western offices of
one of Canada’s leading clothing manufacturers. These
were sales and distribution offices only as the company’s
travelling salesmen sold to retail outlets throughout the
western provinces using these offices as a home base.