Western Electric 110
Once known as the Ryan Brothers Building, the faded paint
is barely visible, but reveals the original owners of this
128 James Avenue
Built in 1912 this Edwardian red brick warehouse is still
Richards and Brown
An unusual laminate concrete façade distinguishes this
warehouse from the neighbouring warehouse buildings.
No.1 54 King Street
City Light & Power Company, the first public utility in Western Canada, began
operation in 1911.
Anne (Blue Ribbon)
Building 87 King Street
When the building opened, the property extended to Arthur
Street with both building façades being identical.
In 1911, when the Blue Ribbon Company moved to larger premises,
the building was divided by a brick party wall.
Ryan Block 104
Designed by Hugh S. Griffith in the Richardsonian Romanesque style common in
the warehouse district, the building was originally three storeys in height and
displays the main elements of the Richardsonian Romanesque style.
Sales Building (Kings Head) 120 King
Andrew Carruthers had operated a hide and wood business
in Ontario before coming to Winnipeg in 1889 to take advantage
of Winnipeg’s prominence in the historic
After demolishing the previous structure
the Carruthers building was built upon the original foundation.
This may explain the existence of a double sash window
in the basement wall. A wall that may have been buried
when Brown's Creek was filled in.
Crane Lombard Building 93
This five storey brick building is an excellent example
of a renovated heritage building.
Building 111 Lombard
Originally built for the Kemp Manufacturing Company in 1903, this six storey
structure was designed by J. H. Cadham and built by P. Burnett at a cost of $45,000.
Grain Exchange III
165-167 Lombard Avenue
The Exchange was first located in the Market Square area in the basement of City
Hall, then in buildings on Princess Street. The facilities
on Princess were quickly outgrown and the traders opted to construct larger premises
at the northeast corner of Lombard Avenue and Rorie Street in 1906.
Great West Life
Building 177 Lombard Avenue
Erected for one of Western Canada’s largest financial institutions, this
building is a fine example of the French Beaux-Arts School style.
Great West Life
Annex 185 Lombard Avenue
Built in 1900, this 2 storey building endures in style
as Bailey's Restaurant below the towers surrounding it.
Union Trust Tower
191 Lombard Avenue
The Union Trust Tower is a typical Chicago School Skyscraper
occupying an unusually long and narrow site at the corner
of Lombard Avenue and Main Street. This corner lot reflects
the long and narrow shape of the lots that the early settlers
laid out in narrow strips extending from the Red River.