Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / Exchange District / James

Richards and Brown Warehouse

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

In 1895, James H. Ashdown negotiated a deal with the Winnipeg Transfer Railway to construct a railway spur line east of Main Street. The line would run between Bannatyne and Market avenues and serviced Winnipeg’s wholesale community.

The increasing number of goods that were flowing through Winnipeg could now be easily transferred and shipped to Western Canada. Large warehouses were built east of Main to take advantage of the city’s large workforce, central location and favourable freight rates.




Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1911 Inventory

Edwardian, brick and concrete laminate exterior, rubble foundation, timber post and beam.

3 storeys/32,440 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Warehouse Warehouse 130-132 James Avenue George W. Northwood





about this site  :  credits  :  Français