/ The Exchange
Hydro Sub-station No.1
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
City Light & Power Company, the first public utility
in Western Canada, began operation in 1911. The utility
had entered into competition with the Winnipeg Electric
(Railway) Co. which operated the first water generated
electrical system beginning in 1903.
From a generating
station on the Winnipeg River at Pointe du Bois to a
terminal station in Point Douglas, electricity flowed through
this substation to businesses. The new rates brought
about by this competition made electricity affordable to
district manufacturers (primarily in the clothing trade)
and dramatically affected their growth.