Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / King

Sparling Sales Building
(A. Carruthers Co. Building)

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

The history of this small building encompasses the past of the fur trade, the arrival of the immigrant, and the beginnings of Canadian air travel.

Andrew Carruthers had operated a hide and wood business in Ontario before coming to Winnipeg in 1889 to take advantage of Winnipeg’s prominence in the historic fur trade. The business prospered and Joseph Greenfield was commissioned to design a main office for the trade of hides, wool, furs and Seneca root.




Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1896 Municipal, 1983, grade II Rusticated stone, brick detailing around windows, pediment, wood post and beam construction. 2 storeys/7,875 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Office building for German language paper and warehouse for garment wholesaler. King's Head Pub 120 King Street J. Greenfield


King's Head Pub web site.



about this site  :  credits  :  Français