Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Travellers Building was originally built at the corner
of Bannatyne Avenue and King Streets in 1906-07 for the
North West Commercial Travellers Association. It housed
their offices, meeting rooms, lounges and recreation facilities,
including a Turkish bath.
This was a national organization, founded in Winnipeg in
1882. It acted as a protective union for its members
who were traveling salesmen working for the head offices
and warehouses of dozens of supply industries located in
Winnipeg’s warehouse district. This North West Commercial
Travellers Association grew to include 2,000 members by 1906
providing accident policies, insurance and reduced train
and hotel rates for its members. The group still exists.