District / Bannatyne
(Bright and Johnston Building)
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway brought Winnipeg
a short-lived economic and speculative boom in 1881-82.
There was rapid growth in construction, industry and commerce,
including the wholesale trade.
Mancel Willmot and George W. Stewart partnered to design
the Bright and Johnston Building, on the north side of Bannatyne
between Rorie Street and the Red River in the eastern half
of the warehouse district. It was the first of two buildings
erected in 1882-83 for Turner, McKeand and Company, a grocery