/ The Exchange
District / Main
Bank of British North America (Newmac
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
On what was once a busy stretch of Winnipeg, today the
former Bank of British North America stands physically
isolated at 436 Main Street. It is the only surviving pre-1914
structure on West Main between Portage and McDermot avenues.
The Bank of British North America, an institution based in
London, England opened a Winnipeg branch in 1886. The bank
occupied various leased premises on the east side of Main
before commissioning architect Andrew Thomas Taylor of Montréal
to design its new structure.