Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Main

Bank of Toronto
(Ukrainian Canadian Committee)

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

Situated on the west side of Main Street, between McDermot and Bannatyne Avenues, in an area known as Banker’s Row, the Bank of Toronto building was the first bank to have a marble façade. The bank location between two retailers, the Imperial Dry Goods Store and the Blue Store reflects the shift of Winnipeg’s retail district to Portage Avenue in the early 1900s.

A latecomer to the city, the bank opened its first local office in the spring of 1905 in the Grundy Block on Main Street.  Within a short period of time, a lot was purchased from a local land speculator for $66,000 and a monumental banking hall was to be erected to compete with the existing financial institutions not only for business but also for prestige.





Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1905-1907 Municipal, 1984, grade II

White marble facade, Corinthian capitals, balustrades, secondary facade (behind columns) of glass and cast iron, steel and concrete construction.

3 storeys/19,584 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Bank Offices 456 Main Street H.C. Stone (Montreal)





about this site  :  credits  :  Français