/ The Exchange District
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Bankers’ Row was well established on Main Street
between Portage and William avenues, by the time the Ontario-based
Bank of Hamilton leased space on East Main between Lombard
and McDermot avenues in 1896.
Within two years, the bank had acquired and expanded the
Richardson Block at the southeast corner of Main and McDermot
to house its own business plus commercial tenants. The
construction of the impressive Bank of Commerce, plus some
settlement damage in its own building, prompted the Bank
of Hamilton to build a new structure. The Richardson Block
was demolished and a new nine-story skyscraper was erected.