Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Before 1885, McDermot Avenue was known as Owen Street.
McDermot has always been a commercial area, and today a
substantial turn-of-the century streetscape still exists
between 165-179 McDermot Avenue beginning at the intersection
of Rorie Street and McDermot Avenue.
The large brick building located on the corner is familiar
as the Galpern Candy Factory. It is larger in scale than
its neighbours, its size making it a visual anchor as well
as a bridge to the larger warehouses and commercial structures
along Rorie Street.