Grange Building/Mitchell Block
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
This building is one of the oldest structures on McDermot
Avenue. Built for the W.J. Mitchell Drug Company in 1887,
the drug supply firm was founded by Messrs. Trolt and Melville
in 1875. W.J. Mitchell joined the firm in 1880 and become
sole proprietor three years later. His original retail
store was located on Main Street, however with the expansion
of the western frontier, Mitchell commissioned British-born
architect Arthur T. Timewell to design a new warehouse
and drug manufacturing facility.
Built at a cost of $7,000, the Mitchell Block was decorated
with an ornate exterior much of which is now missing, although
decorative window details have survived. The ground
floor and entranceway have been substantially altered.