Toronto Type Foundry Building
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Built by its designer, David Ede, as a speculative venture
during Winnipeg's 1881-82 land boom, this three-storey
brick warehouse is the oldest of the six buildings on the
north side of McDermot Avenue between Main and Rorie streets.
A series of occupants followed: the Montreal-based fruit
and produce firm, Vipond, McBride and Company; Rublee, Riddell
and Company, a local business which purchased Vipond, McBride's
Winnipeg interests; and Love, McAlister and Company, a stationery
wholesaler that took over the building in 1895, sharing space
with the Manitoba Produce Commission.