Thompson, Codville Company Building (Sures Building)
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Situated between the elaborate Telegram Building, built
around the same time, and the Geo. D. Wood Building of
the 1890s, this warehouse is a rare example of a modest-sized
structure of the city’s first boom period that has
not been significantly altered.
After the announcement in 1881 that the Canadian Pacific
Railway would pass through Winnipeg, the number of wholesale
establishments jumped from twenty-six to sixty while the
number of grocery wholesalers increased from four to nine
and stock values nearly tripled.