/ The Exchange
District / Princess
City Hydro Showroom
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Winnipeg Electric Company had been supplying power
to Winnipeg since 1882, however many considered the rates
to be over-priced. With the hopes that
cheap power would attract new manufacturing plants to Winnipeg,
a publicly owned electrical utility was surveyed and constructed
at Point du Bois in 1909.
The Rover Street Terminal Station distributed power to substations
around the City. In 1910, land for a power substation was
acquired by the City of Winnipeg on the west side of King
Street, north of Notre Dame Avenue. The King Street substation
was completed in 1912.