/ The Exchange
Bawlf Grain Exchange Building II
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Winnipeg Grain and Produce Exchange was created on
November 24, 1887 in the office of the Board of Trade in
City Hall by twelve leading grain merchants. The rapid
growth of the grain trade necessitated the construction
of the second Grain Exchange on Princess Street.
The Grain Exchange Building II was planned and financed by
Nicholas Bawlf, one of the founders of the original Exchange.
Bawlf was an agricultural feed merchant who expanded into
the overall grain business. He was also the builder of the
first Exchange building, which was also on Princess Street,
and the Benson and Bawlf blocks. Bawlf’s impact
on the commercial development of the city was impressive.