Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Princess

Oddfellows Hall

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

In 1883-84, the Independent Order of Oddfellows constructed this three-storey Romanesque-style structure with a metal cornice showing the initials IOOF and ML No.1 (Manitoba Lodge No. 1) together with the cryptic symbols of the mystic order – a crescent moon with seven stars and a three-link chain.

The Victorian structure was partially leased to commercial tenants to provide revenue to the order. Its first tenant was the clothing wholesaler, Carscadden & Peck, which later built its own building at 33 Princess Street. The meeting hall for the Oddfellows, was located on the third floor. The IOOF’s interior space included clubrooms and a large, free-span auditorium complete with musician’s gallery and ballroom dance floor. Its walls and ceiling are completely covered in embossed tin, a common material of the day, which can still be found in many buildings.




Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1883-1884 Municipal, 1986, grade III

Elaborate cornice, pilasters topped with miniature columns, brick detailing, wood post and beam frame.

3 storeys/22,718 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect

Hall and offices.

Office space and retail. 72-74 Princess Street

Hugh McCowan





about this site  :  credits  :  Français