Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District
Vignettes / The Exchange District / Princess

Miller and Richard Type Founders Building (Western Elevator and Motor Company)

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

Together with the adjacent Maw & Co. Garage on Princess Street, the Miller and Richard Type Founders building remains an important part of turn-of-the-century commercial streetscape that still exists in the warehouse district southwest of City Hall.

The Miller and Richard Company which supplied metal type and printers’ machinery occupied the building in 1905.  Originating in Scotland, the firm established a base in eastern Canada, expanding to Winnipeg in response to the city’s flourishing printing and publishing trade that needed ready access to specialty equipment and repair services.  The firm remained in the building until 1931 when it left the city. Another original tenant, the printing and bookbinding enterprise of Douglass-McIntyre Company, did not move from 121 Princess until the early 1940s.





Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1904-1905 Municipal, 1999, Grade III Mill construction, first floor originally cut stone. 4 storeys/18,675 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Warehouse Condominiums 123 Princess Street S.F. Peters





about this site  :  credits  :  Français