Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Princess

Campbell-Wilson Building

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

One of Western Canada’s largest dry goods wholesalers, the company started out as a partnership called Sutherland and Campbell. Upon the death of Sutherland in 1885, R.J. Campbell took on his younger brother, W.J. Campbell, as his partner.

R.R. Wilson joined the company in 1900 and it became Campbell Brothers and Wilson. Campbell Wilson Company became one of the largest grocery firms in the country, expanding its operations to eight other western cities.





Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1903 Municipal, 1983, grade II

Rusticated lower level, rounded head brick arcade, some Chicago school elements, wood post and beam frame.

6 storeys/83,160 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect

Wholesale warehouse

Retail/Warehouse 92-100 Princess Street

J.H.G. Russell





about this site  :  credits  :  Français