Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Princess

Princess Street Warehouse

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

The Confederation Life Association built this five-storey brick warehouse in 1885 as a speculative venture. A twin section existed where the three-storey building is now located. It was built by William Brydon and B.R. Robertson, a partnership of general contractors and suppliers of business materials who may have also provided the plans for the building, a popular practice in Winnipeg at the time.

The structure was originally only three storeys high. Featuring large storefront windows, the building was divided into two symmetrical sections separated by a party wall.  The southern portion was leased to Hodgson, Sumner and Company, a wholesale firm dealing in dry goods, small wares and fancy goods.  Sutherland and Campbell, a wholesale grocery firm occupied the other half of the building.  These pioneer enterprises, were part of the warehousing district that supplied goods for the homesteaders that were pouring through Winnipeg.




Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1885 Municipal, 1984, grade III

Solid brick, gothic pilaster caps removed in 1904.

5 storeys/29,790 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect

Wholesale warehouse

Vacant 104 Princess Street

W. Brydon and B.R. Robertson, D. Smith, 1904.





about this site  :  credits  :  Français