/ The Exchange
Utility (Exchange) Building
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
In 1892, a time when the wheat boom
in the Northwest was making fortunes for many western businessmen,
Winnipeg’s first Grain and Produce Exchange was formed.
One of the founders, Nicholas Bawlf, erected this building
intending to house the Board of Trade.
Originally designed to be only three storeys, the early Grain
Exchange had a ground floor with two 32-foot clear spans,
and steel trusses supporting the ceiling. Two agricultural
implement dealers shared this open space. The second
and third storeys contained offices that opened into a center
light well covered with a skylight so that each office had
natural light. The Board of Trade and Exchange rooms
were on the third floor as well as private offices for several
prominent “grain men”. The interior finishing
was elegant and much admired.