/ The Exchange
District / Princess
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
At 103 Princess Street is the Galt Block, built in 1887
by the wholesale house of G.F. and J. Galt Company. A
stable and residence were torn down on the site in order
to construct this warehouse. The building was designed
by Charles Wheeler and cost $25,000.00 to build. The structure
included an icehouse, butter vault and courtyard. The Galts
imported tea, sugars, wine, brandies and general groceries.
Two additions were made to the building after the turn of
the century, one an extension along Princess in 1904 and
then an additional storey in 1906. The style of the building
is Richardsonian. There are wide arches with narrower arches
at the corner that curves and is treated with a vertical
shaft of limestone.