Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Princess

Drake Hotel (Benson Block)

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

Originally called the Benson Block, this hotel was a twin of the Bawlf Block at 148 Princess, Joseph Benson had operated a livery stable on the site, and together with Nicholas Bawlf, financed the construction of the two buildings.  The wholesale grocery firm of Griffin and Douglas were the first tenants, however the interior basement foundations threatened to collapse under the weight of goods stored above.  This faulty construction is reflective of the material shortage at the time of its construction, along with contractor, Saul Brothers and Armit’s rush to complete the work. There was also a lack of skilled craftsman during the 1881-82 building boom.

The Benson Block hosted a variety of businesses over the years. Griffin & Douglas remained until 1886. It was renamed the Globe Hotel, the Market Hotel in 1904 and after 1937, “The Bank”. Its last function was as the Drake Hotel from 1844 to 1874. It was finally closed due to a number of health citations.

more...

Atrium

Room 312

Student Services



c1900


2004

 


Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1882 Municipal, 1979, grade III Neoclassical motifs, detailed polychromatic brick work, wood post and beam construction. 3 storeys/11,880 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Hotel and service provider to wholesale and manufacturing agents Red River College 146 Princess Street Barber & Barber

 


NA

 

top


about this site  :  credits  :  Français