Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / Princess

Maw's Garage

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

Maw and Company Garage was constructed in 1906 for the interests of Joseph Maw.  Maw was a Winnipeg businessman whose career illustrates how the settlement of Western Canada presented boundless opportunities to many an ambitious man.

A travelling salesman by the age of 17 for the Massey Manufacturing Company, he entered into a partnership in a carriage firm with J.M. Ross. After this partnership dissolved in 1886, Maw became interested in the new motor vehicles, as a logical extension of the carriage business. 





Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1890, modified in1906

Municipal, 1979, grade III

Large plate glass windows, steel trusses allow open floor. 1 storey/18,970 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect

Automobile showroom and warehouse for wholesale trade.

Vacant 109 Princess Street

Charles H. Wheeler (1890), W.H. Stone (1906)





about this site  :  credits  :  Français