/ The Exchange
District / Princess
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
This warehouse was built in 1893, for clothing manufacterer
and importer, John W. Peck. Designed by C.H. Wheeler, it
is located on the corner of Notre Dame Avenue and Princess
Street on the western boundary of the warehouse district.
Peck had been an established clothing manufacturer in Montreal.
He recognized the market potential of the Canadian west,
and in 1880, entered into a partnership with two Winnipeg
businessmen, A.B. Bethune and J.D. Carescaden. The Carescaden
and Peck Company produced men’s and boys’ clothing,
shirts, sheep-lined coats and caps shipped from Montreal. The
firm also marketed a fur overcoat to replace the buffalo
coat, which had already become unobtainable in the 1890s. The “African
Buffalo Coat,” was reasonably priced and highly serviceable. It
was popular with farmers and other outdoor labourers.