/ The Exchange
District / Arthur
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Arthur Street facility was the third building built
by the R. J. Whitla firm in the vicinity of Main and Arthur.
The first was on Main Street in 1878 and the second on
McDermot (Telegram Building) in 1882-84.
A substantial building at the time for a dry goods wholesaler,
70 Arthur was completed in 1899, by Cadham who also made
a major addition in 1906. J. H. G. Russell made another major
addition in 1911.