/ The Exchange
Gault Block (Art Space)
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Gault brothers built the Winnipeg buildings as part of
their Montreal-based dry goods trade. This massive structure
was built in two sections. The first building was constructed
in 1900. A six-storey addition to the south was built in
1903 with a two-storey addition to the original four-storey
built at the same time.
The building is similar to the Whitla Block. The first storey
and basement features a rusticated limestone face. The building
terminates the eastern leg of Bannatyne Avenue and faces
the open space to the north leading to the Civic Centre.