District / Notre
St. Charles Hotel
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Winnipeg had become a very lucrative business travel market
during its reign as the economic center of the west. Charles
M. McCarrey and George Skinner hired Carter-Halls-Aldinger
Company, Winnipeg’s largest contractor, to design
and build a three-storey hotel. Built on the northwest
corner of Albert Street and Notre Dame Avenue during a
recession in 1913, the structure cost $122,000.
McCarrey, who was the owner of the St. Regis Hotel, leased
the St. Charles until 1914. Skinner, the former proprietor
of the Grange Hotel on Lombard, assumed the role of owner-manager
at that point.