/ The Exchange
District / Market
Great West Saddlery Building
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Great West Saddlery Company built this factory at
the foot of Market Avenue to accommodate their booming
business. Founder and president Elisha F. Hutchings had
built the company into a large national interest and the
factory complemented their main warehouse across the street.
E.F. Hutchings had trained as a harness-maker in Ontario
before coming arriving in Manitoba in 1876. He bought out
a junior partner in a small local saddlery establishment,
eventually taking control of the business by 1885.