/ The Exchange
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
During his career in the implement trade, Joseph Maw was
involved in the building of two buildings within the Exchange
District. Originally a salesman with the Massey Company,
Maw had relocated to Winnipeg from Calgary in 1892. Together
with John Munroe Ross, his partner, they operated a carriage
business out of 144 Princess Street in the Henderson Block.
By 1895, they had become the largest carriage dealer in
In 1896, Maw set out on his own. Operating as Joseph Maw
and Company, he purchased the Watson Implement property at
William Avenue and King Street. This building that had been
on the site since 1882, was demolished and Maw built a three
storey brick building. The third floor featured a track
for testing and racing bicycles.